Thursday, October 9, 2008

PULL-UPS, ANYONE ?


  Yesterday I had a great KB meeting/discussion that lasted all morning. By the time I got home it was time to pick up the kids. It was such a beautiful day they wanted to go to the parks...so we did. I saw some classmates delivering a beat down to each other at the Community Center and taking full advantage of the weather. Very cool. Some people just won't take a day off. When I got home that night it was time for my training. On the menu was pull-ups. Tactical pull-ups. Body weight only. One perfect pull-up...then walk over to the counter..'click'....one perfect pull-up...walk over to the counter...'click'...and so one. It took 50 minutes to get in 150 pull-ups. I never broke a sweat. I did each one perfect/strict. I didn't breathe heavy. I felt a slight "pump" in my forearms from crush gripping the bar but that's it. It was a very mellow training cycle. Grabbed a little ice cream and went to bed. I remember rolling over around 4:00 am and seeing that I still had a couple hours so I went back to sleep. When my alarm went off I reached for it and it was at this time someone either stabbed me in the side with a long knife or hit me in the ribs with a sledge hammer breaking my ribs. The pain shot from my arm pit to my waist. When I tried to roll off to the side my abs connected with my spine and cut off my breathing for a moment. I felt like I had been beaten, dragged and left for dead. My point? All work is cumulative. I have not done this type of a drill in maybe 6-8 months....and my body knew it. It has been a long day but I am finally feeling pretty good. The headache is gone and I am going to drink a beer.
  Moral of the story: I don't think there is one...just be careful out there.

1 comment:

Renee Yorkievitz, RKC said...

Mike,
You're a kook. Love the corpse in the coffin! Halloween is my favorite holiday. Thanks for the great response to my e-mail. Today was the first day I trained with one arm and the stinkin' cast! Hard to get used to, but it can only get better right? B/c of the cast, I can't squeeze that hand for tension on my presses!
Have a great weekend!
Renee