Tuesday, September 30, 2008

CHICKEN LEGS GOT YOU DOWN ?


 I have been saying for years that boys have the same self image issues that are just as damaging as girls. A girls will manifest itself as eating disorders (starvation diets) while the boys manifest itself as eating disorders (gorging food). Yes, Taking in 4000 cal a day is not good for you or needed for the growth they want. Isn't it odd that weight gain for guys is required. Athletic boys in high school don't want to look like athletes. They want to look like bodybuilders. A collection of parts. Big bi's, tri's, lat's and legs. It is improper to add the size without adding the proportionate strength. Skinny legs? A mans worst nightmare. Forget the fact that it gives springy strength. Less mass to move when delivering a kick therefore quicker and delivers more force. Requires less nutrition for performance and you can buy your clothes off the rack. Ron Morris RKC made a comment to me when I first started training with kettlebells. After about 5-6 months I was buying one of his shirts. I grabbed the Xtra Large size and held it up just for sizing. He looked at me and said, "No more xtra larges for you."  He was right. I have been wearing large ever since. How can I lose muscle size and yet be stronger than in the past. Muscle recruitment is one answer. Using my body more efficiently is another. Strength is a skill.  Forms follows function. It always will. Today, I want my legs and glutes strong. They will be whatever shape that requires. I look at my body as a whole these days. I haven't done a curl or tri-cep extension in 3 years. Pistols, pull-ups, swings, TGU and snatches. Done. These simple but sinister movements will make you road worthy. Period.
Speaking of which...todays training.

Pistols 3L+3R (x 3) with 24kg bell
Pull-ups with 32kg  1 x 10 (slow, 3-4 minutes rest between each)

That's it. Felt good. Didn't break a sweat. See ya' tonight!!

No comments: