Friday, September 26, 2008

IN THE END...IT'S ALL ABOUT HANDS.

  One complaint you will neeeever hear from a body builder is that their hands are getting ripped up. Olympic lifts? Maybe. Kettlebells? Please. It is the number one topic after a full day of high volume work. I tended to a gal who blew out her palm. I have never had a rip so low in my hand. Not sure what she was doing but I watched her afterwards and her technique was very good. I had brought some of my thin brown gloves  and NuSkin so I worked her up. She was still a mess in the hands department. But at least she didn't tear anymore. So what is the answer to hand preservation. That is up to the individual. You can select all or none of the following.
~Remove any build-up or 'tenting' of calluses. 
~Keep hands soft with lotion (Corn Huskers)
~Use barriers (thin socks or gloves) 
~Vary your technique to share the load over your entire hand
~Soak hands in ice water and lotion with a glove over them at night (not sure about this one)
  You just need to figure it out. In the above photo I was busy taping up hands each day as if they were going into battle. Believe me, they were. This was Lena as she was preparing for the VO2Max sequence. It was brutal. Everyone did great.

  I have been asked to post some of my training that I do daily or otherwise. Remember, I pick up the bells at different intervals throughout the day just to stay loose. I won't count that stuff in the training blog. Also, I have a tendency to subscribe to Brett Jones approach to training. Low reps/Heavy weights. I keep it simple. I am always 'working' on something (open the hips, sink the hips back, sink the shoulders back, pack the shoulders). I use the drills that promote these items.

Todays training:

Turkish Get-Up  5L+5R  32KG
                              4L+4R 32KG
                              3L+3R 40KG  <(this was work)
                              2L+2R 40KG
                              1L+1R  Beast
DARC Swings (alt. hand every swing)
                              20 reps/3 sets
Mow the lawn....not really training but what the hell.

~See you tonight!!!

No comments: