Thursday, June 5, 2008

Answers Found!!!!



A few years ago I was getting way off track in a search engine. Sometimes those things just take me places. Anyway I stumbled upon a site that sold rope. Rope. How cool is that. I always need rope. Lets look at the rope. I began going through all the different ropes. Looking at rope is like touring the Barbed Wire Museum in Oklahoma City, who knew there were so many different kinds? Gripping stuff...really. Anyway, I saw a sale on a two inch thick piece of rope. How cool is that !?! I just had to buy it. The break strength on this fifty foot piece is over 13,000 lbs. That should hold my kids. So I took this rope up to the family cabin and there it stayed for a summer. It just wasn't long enough for any application at the cabin. Hmmm, sad face. So, I brought it home and for a year it sat in the back of my truck and it kept my kettlebells from rolling around. Now it is has the same status as a passport in my life. Great to have but I can't go anywhere or do anything with it right now.
A hulk of a man missed one of my classes due to a shoulder injury he sustained shaking a rug out at his wifes request. This is a man that can easily snatch the 20 kg for reps. I know, sounds a little silly. But the sheering forces coupled with the contractions and relaxations of the movements put this 83 year old mans shoulder in a bind for a few days. Kettlebells are great for training movements but I don't see shaking them anytime soon as part of a training cycle. This one left me a little stumped. How do we train for such motions. We wouldn't do it a lot, but there has got to be something out there. ENTER....THE ROPE! More to he point, John Brookfields "Battling Ropes" (www.PowerRopes.com) . This is going to be great. Check out the site. I set it up in my backyard today and went for one minute. This will be a "station" I will introduce soon! You will love to hate this movement. It rocks. Your welcome.

No comments: