Friday, August 15, 2008

TURKISH GET-UPS (TGU) and FEMME FATALES


Remember...it's a get-up not a sit up....This rings so true considering the performance of our two femme fatales. Wednesday we played with big weights and the TGU. Laurie AND Sarah did nice, strong controlled TGU's with the 20kg KB (#4). They can't press that weight. They can't do a sit-up with that weight. But they locked it out on their backs and got up with it on a uneven and dimpled surface. AWESOME EFFORTS. Who needs the Olympics. We are breaking personal records every day. This is what it is all about. Staying safe. Getting stronger with nice lean muscle. AND, learning to use your body more efficiently. My friend Smith (that is his first name, btw) was there trying out the KB training for the second night. He is a strong guy and long time gym member. His comment about the TGU, "This is hard." I wanted to correct him with, "No, this is hard-style." But he seemed a little distracted by the weight the ladies were posting. I was humbled during my first contact with KB's under very similar circumstances. I was smoked by bear crawls and renegade rows. I was also between two ladies pulling twice the weight I had been given. I loved it. A door opened and I was shown a new definition of strength.
I am slowly falling in love with the TGU's. The beauty of this motion is clear. The effects are felt with the fist set. No special talent or flexibility is needed. Just a willingness to lay on the floor on your back. For some reason this seems outside the norm. We don't lay on the ground for training in the U.S. Well, we do now and it is proving itself very usefull.
~datzit

No comments: