Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rite of Passage !!! (so far....)


Here's the recap...First we found out the five ladders with five rungs (5x5) weight. Then we went up one bell and dropped one rung across all ladders. We are still doing five ladders total. So,...for the sake of discussion...let's talk about me. I completed 5x5 with the #7 (32kg). The standard applied. No leg assist. Heels on the ground. Knees locked. Full press to the lockout over head. Re-cleaned before each press. Monday I went up a bell size to the 7.5 (36kg). Monday is a light day so the ladder is 5 with 2 rungs (2 rungs less that the heavy day which will have 4 rungs). I got the 5x2. It was hard but it is suppose to be hard. That's the point. Today I will do 5x3 with the same weight. Let's say I can't get all the rungs. Let's say on the forth ladder I can only get 2 presses...well then I have some choices. Keep it to 2 reps or drop the clean before each press. This is why you may want to keep a log book. The best lifters keep a log book and follow how their body responded to their training. This is pretty simple so far but if your into the 5th or 6th week and things aren't moving...you need to go back and figure out the "why" in the equation. IF I decide to keep it to two presses it will look like this on the 4th ladder 1 + 2 + 2. The 5th ladder will look the same. So what happens on Friday? I couldn't get all the rungs on Wednesday so what's the point of adding rungs up to 4 on the first ladders ? Because you may be able to get the first couple ladders and the the 3rd ladder is where things drop off. This is where the training comes in....not the work-out. Anyone can sweat. Sweating is not the sign of a good or productive work out. It's just sweat. Sweat is easy. Plenty misshapen bodies sweat. Improve your ladder presses. Now your doing something. I barely sweated from fall thru spring when I was strength training.....weights always improved. It's not about the sweat.....not anymore. Time to get your press on !

No comments: