Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"What the Heck"


 Okay. I kicked a doorstop in my house barefoot and broke a toe. It hurt. Still does but I am on the mend. This is not the point. My point comes from todays training. I did 100 snatches with the 24kg bell in 3:45 min:sec. Heart was racing pretty good. Then I laddered  24kg, 28kg, 32kg, 40kg, and the Beast (48kg). For the ladder I did 10 swings at each step (50 total swings). Then I started at the bottom again and did 2 swings, clean(L)/clean(R), snatch(L)/snatch(R) without pausing. I went thru the entire ladder ending with snatching the Beast with each arm. What's my point? Well, my toe didn't hurt. I never even thought about it. Now, keep in mind, this toe throbs when I walk on it. Going up or down stairs I look like a hunch back as I baby that foot. So why didn't my foot hurt doing all the snatches and heavy singles? Because I was driving with my heels. This was my 'what the heck' moment. I did it naturally. Weight back. Heels pressing into the ground. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal. It speaks more to the core of our training principals. Trained properly the movement patterns should become second nature so you can apply them without thinking about them.

No comments: