Friday, November 30, 2012

Reality Check !!

The question is...What do you see? I wanted to Dead Lift, but I didn't want to screw myself up. Keep in mind I still have a 9% Perm' Partial Disability due to an old L5-S1 herniation in my back from 1991.I shot this vid and sent it to a DL expert. Someone with 40years in the game as a competitor and as a coach. Here's his response: Michael, First thing I noticed is how long your toros is and how short your arms( relatively) are. This doesn't make for great deadlifters. Your spine is very long and the way you set up ( sternum over bar, shoulders in front, low squat) makes the spine a pretty long lever as well and creates a LOT of shear on the lumbars, Have you tried Sumo style? you look more suited to it. Also, I noticed, from the front view, that you shift a bit to your right leg as you set up.I would also consider using a double overgrip grip as the mixed grip creates a lot of torque in the spine, Mark Mark Reifkind, Master SFG Instructor GiryaStrength.com So, I wrote back. Thanked him. Told him I will look at some stuff and see if the sumo DL is more my pace. Then he wrote again: Michael to be honest, after a real back injury like the both of us have had, deads are really over rated. Way more risk than reward. You are already strong enough ( base line strength) and pushing for more carries a big ass risk. the kbs really are the thing for keeping the strength we already have "ready" if you will jmo Rif This is where the beauty comes out. As much of a power hound as he is...he's telling me to back off something that I am just not well suited to perform. My body does not like the leverage angle of a DL. I did notice some immediate postural benefits so I am going to keep the weight at 250 lbs and do reps for mobility. To that..his comment was "smart." I benefitted from this so much. Form checks are a must. The swing/squat vid should be something you do on occasion. Check your self....before you wreck yourself.

2 comments:

Dan Smith said...

Exact same experience I've had with deadlifts. With short arms and long legs, I have a ton of shear that has to go somewhere. Sumo places much less pressure on my lower back, but still, anytime I've regularly deadlifted, my back has gotten sore. I've accepted the fact that I'll never be Super Dave.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me again like we talked... Great to get video of each of us and help with form and correctives or queues. Seems like all of us need more input to keep our form up.

Bad hàbits happen quickly...
Bill S